Sunday, May 10, 2009

Getting Stuff Done

No photos today. I'm just too tired to take any or upload any.

I bought a new washer & dryer yesterday--well, new for me. It's a year old Maytag commercial set, used at a "spa" that has gone out of business. The guys in the pawn shop next door loaned us their dolly, and when I returned it, the manager recommended that I run bleach through it before I use it. He said that the business was a "special kind of spa." Hmmmm....lots of bleach...lots of hot water...and I think it's sterilized now. Thank goodness bleach is cheap!

Thank you Trish and Peter for helping me get the w/d into the house and installed!

Today's projects included buying and installing a 4-prong plug on the dryer. It had a 3-prong plug. Fortunately, those are easy to install. Trish came over and helped me install the new towel bar in the bathroom and the swan-neck extension in the shower. That solves the problem of the shower caddy falling down the old short neck.

I also got downspout extensions installed. I really needed to rout the water away from the foundation. All of the downspouts are right up against the house, and the sidewalk slopes into the foundation, so a lot of water has been going into the crawl space. One of the projects on the agenda is to pour new concrete in those spots, and slope them away from the house.

I also planted some purple wave petunias and dianthus in the cement planter with the little girl figure on the porch. I bought that planter at some estate sale in WA and have hauled it all over the country!

Well, that's it for today. Back to unpacking...and off to work tomorrow for a little rest.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Hi, Karen.....
Both pools are closed down...one for repair, the other for overuse so my friend and I can't go swimming. Thought it'd be a good time to catch up on your blog. Things have really progressed! Florida is in very much need of rain. The small lake between me and the 9th fairway is getting so low, we may be able to walk across. Still deep enough for the 'gators, though. Sand hill cranes are having their babies. Saw one yesterday but was in the care so I couldn't get a picture. Hope you're doing well. Take care. Love, Darlene

Darlene said...

Oooops! I was in the CAR not care!