Thursday, May 27, 2010

Busy Month!

It's a beautiful day at work! This is a good pic of stacked lenticulars over the Rockies. Lenticulars are formed when air is moving quickly, upwards and cools the air to the dewpoint, making the moisture visible. Then it goes downwards, disappating the cloud. Lenticulars are supposed to signify severe turbulance, but I've flown around and through them, and never felt a single bump. Yup, a beautiful day at work...Pajamas? Really? This is appropriate attire for an airline flight?
It was a beautiful day to work in the garden. There is a 2' planting strip next to the patio and the fence, but it was overgrown by grass since the house had been vacant for 2 years. So, I started digging out the grass.
You can see more grass right at the shadow--it goes all the way to the fence. Talk about backbreaking!
Oh, and did I mention the 15' x 15' bed of IVY? Yes, it's coming out. This is where I want my vegetable garden.
I flew through SLC a few weeks ago and took a photo of the Great Salt Lake. It occured to me that a lake should not be red, blue, green and brown at the same time. Icky...
Nap time at the barn, for all horses, big (Beau)
And small (Zeke).
I am always professional at work. Period. No matter what anyone says. They are lying if they say anything to the contrary.
This ramper is also professional at work. I LOVE his hair! Yes, it's real!
I am not sure what kind of bugs or birds are around Austin this time of year, but we hit something big climbing through a cloud layer at 18,000'. It covered my entire windshield with ooze. Probably an alien, then...
Denver had severe winds last Monday, gusting up to 61 knots (that's about 70 mph). I landed in 59 kt winds, with a crosswind component of 42 kts. I certainly earned my paycheck on Monday! The winds caused havoc, though. Every flight into the affected areas was cancelled. The line on the right is the Customer Service Line. We estimated at least 800 people in line--the line ends at the farthest point at which you can see the terminal!
This was the other CS line. Notice that I am as far away as possible while taking this photo. I did NOT want anyone to ask me questions! I know that people were upset, but really, if your pilot refuses to fly, you'd better be grateful--there's a good reason for it, and it's probably the difference of getting there alive late, or dead, on time.
On the way home from CSU yesterday, I saw this enormous cloud of smoke.
A recycling plant was on fire. Over 60 firefighters responded. You can see the ladder trucks and the water plumes right above the orange arrows. It was still smoldering today.

I was at CSU for Ranger's MRI. His MRI found that the tendons and ligaments inside his foot are badly damaged--scarred and ossified. That means that instead of moving like a rubber band, they have the flexibility of a piece of rope--which means that they don't flex any more. It's not repairable or reversible, but it is manageable. It's going to be a long few months, but there is a good chance that we can get him sound enough to enjoy being ridden again. If not, he'll retire to a pasture somewhere close by. At least now we know that we were on the right track the entire time, and that his treatment to date has been appropriate.

Please keep Ranger in your thoughts, if you don't mind.

No comments: