Monday, June 2, 2008

Spiders, Ducks and Sunsets

Just before I went to bed last Friday night (May 30th), I spotted a million baby spiders that had just hatched in the cask planter below my deck. They were about the size of the roller tip of a ball-point pen. Those seedlings are only about an inch tall, for another perspective. Now, I don't particularly like spiders, but these were so tiny, so jewel-like, that I had to take a picture. Have you ever seen so many spiders in one spot? Amazing, aren't they? I do hope that they keep their amazing selves OUT of the house!We did a double Louisville overnight trip this week. There is a pond behind the hotel, filled with Canada geese and mallard ducks, and some sort of mid-sized brown critter that ambled along the shoreline, but was too elusive for photos...and it is not a beaver but it is about that size. Does anyone know what sort of brown things live near water in Louisville? Anyway, one pair of mallards likes to hang out near the front door of the hotel, which means that they have to waddle across the parking lot and around to the front of the hotel to take up their regular stations as sentries. They sure enjoyed my left-over rice cakes, and my flight attendant's granola. We didn't see any ducklings, but two female Canada geese had goslings rounded up in a little co-op; they stayed too far away for photos as well. AFLACK!!!!


The sunset at Chicago O'Hare on June 1st was AMAZING. Enjoy the view! The scenery is one of the best parts of my job. This view is from the runway 22L/28 pad, looking across the International terminal, with the control tower on the left. We had just landed and were waiting in the pad to taxi to our gate.
You can see the new control tower being built near the American maintenance hanger. ORD is building a couple of new runways on the other side of the tower, so that will be more central as construction continues; right now it's sort of in the middle of "nowhere."
Sunset take-off.

June 1st is a super-special day--it's Ranger's birthday! He is 7, now--I can't believe it, because time has passed so fast. Watching him grow up from a wild young mustang, just off the range, into the delightful best friend and partner that he is...well, I'm very lucky to have watched my dreams come true. So many people give up on their dreams...I hope that you chase yours, no matter how crazy or unlikely they are. I wasn't thrilled about missing Ranger's birthday, but we'll celebrate tomorrow with a huge bag of carrots and apples, and I'll try to get Belated Birthday photos! Happy Birthday, Ranger!


No comments: