Sunday, June 29, 2008

VACATION! New York and the Belmont Stakes

Hello, everyone! It's been a terrific month, full of fun (and fjord, fjell and foss)!

My month started in New York, for the 140th running of the Belmont Stakes. Big Brown was vying for the first Triple Crown in 30 years, after an amazing victory in the Preakness. The last Triple Crown (winning Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes) was in 1978, won by Affirmed, with Alydar running second in all 3 races (an amazing record in and of itself!).

I arrived on Friday afternoon, so took the subway into Manhattan to see New York. I started at Ground Zero. As a former police officer and a current airline pilot, it was a double whammy.
A stairway from one of the Towers is the only remaining piece from the World Trade Centers while they clear and begin to rebuild.There were 3 marble slabs, hanging in an overlooking walkway with Ground Zero behind them, carved with the names of the victims. About 40 people were viewing it with me, and no-one said a word.Fire Station 10 was the first to respond on 9/11. It's a curiousity for tourists, as well as a shrine, while still being an active fire station. They lost 6 firefighters in the attacks. Yes, those are their helmets, recovered from the rubble. The fire captain invited me inside while I was paying my respects. They don't normally allow people into the fire station! It was a pretty special moment for me. After Ground Zero, I decided to get a bratwurst from a street vendor, which is a MUST in NYC!

Then I made my way to Freedom Park, at the southern tip of Manhattan. You can see the Statue of Liberty from the park; the tour boat had stopped for the evening so I didn't get to Ellis Island. If you look closely, you can see the Statue through the right-hand boot of the soldier on the Korean War monument.

After Freedom Park, I walked through the Financial District. I found the New York Stock Exchange. I took a photo because they have a LOT of my money!

It was closely guarded by NYPD SWAT members. I chatted with this officer for a while.Then, I got around to the back of the building (the NYSE building takes up the entire block!)...and found that the back door was UNLOCKED and OPEN and UNGUARDED! Somehow, I was reminded of TSA...From there, I walked to City Park. I was amazed by the architecture in the city--look at the details on those buildings!There are thousands of small parks in Manhattan. They provide small oasises in the concrete desert. City Park is a bigger one, with a fountain. I hopped on the subway to go to Times Square. NY subways are as gritty as you'd expect. The eyes really creeped me out.Times Square. We've all seen it on TV and in the movies, and it's even more amazing in real life! This is the building from which they drop the New Year's ball--I expected an enormous skyscraper, but the Clock Tower is a small building, probably 3 stories tall!

I continued my tour, passing Radio City Music Hall. I loved the reflection in the fountain! And Rockefeller Plaza...Then I saw St. Patrick's Cathedral, where so many of the victims of 9/11 were honoured. While Ground Zero was bustling, this ground felt sacred to me.I felt bad that I had missed the Empire State Building, and mentioned it to a couple with whom I was chatting. "No," the man said, "that's it right behind you!" And there it was, all lit up...The next day was RACE DAY! I arrived early and explored the track.I met Ralph before the races started. We hit it off, and hung out together the rest of the day.

These were the trophies...look at the glitter! I met other people, too, such as Tim the Belmont Bugler!And Jorge Velasquez, who rode Alydar to second place in each leg of the Triple Crown! He's now a Hall of Fame jockey. Everyone was decked out in their finest! We ended up in the clubhouse, in the front row of the balcony. Garath, visiting from Galloway, Ireland, pulled me in front of him and gave me a big kiss. He said (in that WONDERFUL Irish lilt), "Now I can die a happy man, for I've kissed a girl at Belmont Park!" Finally, the race...Tim bugled the Call to the Post, and the crowd went CRAZY when Big Brown, with Kent Desormeaux aboard, came out of the tunnel! The horses warmed up on the track, then approached the starting gate. The Belmont is 1 1/2 miles, so the gate is right in front of the stands, at the finish line. The horses are in the starting gate...

AND THEY'RE OFF!Unfortunately, Big Brown did not run well once he got to the backstretch. You can see that he had a rough start to the race, above--he's the horse on the right. He held a terrific position at third for the first 3/4 mile. Then, he started looking around (just like Ranger does, in fact) and just sort of...quit.

Afterwards, Ralph invited me to dinner at his favourite restaurant, Il Gattopardo, at 33 West 54th Street. Andrea was the manager; he's just come over from Italy two weeks ago. If you find yourself in New York, you might want to try dinner here. The service was outstanding, and the food even better (although it was close...this was by far the best culinary experience I've ever enjoyed!). I had the roast baby goat, and Ralph had the lamb. Both were delicious--it was truly the best meal I've ever had. Be forewarned--it's not inexpensive, but if you want to splurge, this is the place to go!So, once again, we are without a Triple Crown winner. I guess we'll have to try again next year. Despite the disappointment, I was thrilled to have gone to a Triple Crown race--I can cross that off my life list...oh, wait, doesn't it say "See a Triple Crown winner?" Guess I'd better plan another trip--maybe to see all 3 legs!

No comments: