Thursday, January 22, 2009

YES, I DID!

WOW, what an AMAZING few days!

I flew into DC on Monday afternoon. This is the view from the United gates at Reagan National airport!
I took the Metro to Bethesda and met Mel & Marty, my hosts. Mel & Marty are my friend Turi's in-laws. She is married to their wonderful son, Scott. Mel & Marty canvassed neighborhoods for the Campaign for Change, and graciously offered to let me stay with them for the inauguration. This photo was taken before I returned to Denver; Marty was at their son Tom's, babysitting overnight, so I didn't get a photo of her, unfortunately. THANK YOU, MEL & MARTY, FOR MAKING A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME!!!!
We went out to dinner at Tara Thai, which featured excellent food, then back to their home for a good night's sleep.

I took the Metro into DC and arrived at about 8:30am, thinking I could get onto the Mall by noon for the swearing-in ceremony. Look at the crowds--we're all moving down E Street towards the security gates. These are the people in front of me...And those behind me... There were street vendors everywhere, selling T-shirts, posters, keychains, bracelets, and yes, even OBAMA HOT SAUCE!
As you can imagine, security was VERY tight! The white tent is the security tent. They admitted 10 people at a time, through metal detectors. Everything had to be out of your pockets, and all electronics turned on and checked individually. Of course, I didn't know that for a few more hours...
While standing in the security line on 10th Street, I saw this sign and thought, hmmm...Ford's Theatre...could it be? Yes, it was! THE Ford's Theatre, where President Lincoln was shot.
Right across the street is the home in which President Lincoln actually died.
This short video shows the extent of the crowd at 10th and F Street. I'm guessing that there were 10,000 people or more in line for this particular security point, which is in the tent that you'll see. About 1.5 million people made it onto the mall, and I'll bet another 1.5 million were in lines around outside of the gates, trying to get in.
Despite the incredible lines and cold temperatures (about 25*), people were smiling and happy. The atmosphere was festive. This little girl was a doll--laughing, making friends and singing all morning.
Can you spot me in the crowd? My line started at the bus, which is at the very back of the photo. I got into line at about 8:30; it was now 11:55am. We clearly weren't getting in for the swearing-in ceremony. We all began frantically searching for streaming video or radio on our cell-phones, but the signals were jammed.Luckily, this young man had a real radio. No-one in the crowd spoke while President Obama was sworn in. No-one spoke during his speech, other than a few cheers and "Amens." It was an amazing moment, a collective experience of awe, joy, transformation, and more than a few tears. Afterwards, people were hugging, cheering and crying. Even though I didn't get to see it on a Jumbotron, I WAS THERE! I was a part of history. I witnessed the most historic inauguration since George Washington's! The Bush Years are OVER! And yes, we all cheered and waved good-bye when George Bush flew away in Marine One.I finally cleared security at 2:20pm, after 6 hours in line. Then there I was, standing on the sidewalk of the most famous street in the US, waiting for the Inaugural Parade to begin!Of course, I had to get my photo taken with a cute guy! ;-)This is the FBI building, facing Pennsylvania Avenue.This is the FBI bomb dog--another cute guy!
The Inaugural Parade began with units from each branch of the military in traditional dress.There was no question where the President was in the parade! There were helicopters and snipers, Secret Service, police, National Guard, MP's, and security EVERYWHERE!
Of course, I wasn't tall enough to see President Obama! He's right behind the heads and hands.After he'd gone by, people began running to get in front of him for more picture opportunities. So, I was able to see the back of his & Michelle's heads! Yes, I was that close! I realized that, if I had been on the Mall to see the Inauguration on the Jumbotron, I wouldn't have been able to be on the Parade route to see President Obama, and to be THIS close! So I lucked out!The Crow Nation adopted President Obama last year, which is a sacred, formal event. This man is from the Crow Nation, in full Crow formal ceremonial dress.

I went down to the Mall after the Parade. That's the Capitol Building to the left of the Washington Monument. You know that it's huge, but you don't realize HOW huge until you are standing a mile away and it still dominates the view!I turned around, and there was the Lincoln Memorial.After touring the memorial, I went down to the Vietnam Wall. My dad did two tours in Vietnam. Although he didn't die there, I lost him to Vietnam, because he was never the same when he came back. I wish there was a memorial for those who lost their fathers to the war, even though they didn't die there. It's all the same in my mind, and yes, I cried.I woke up Wednesday morning with a feeling of joy, the lifting of a huge weight...it's a new world, a new world leader, a new world order. I hope that you feel the same hope for change. Congratulations, America...WE DID IT!

No comments: