Sunday, March 21, 2010

More of the recent past!

This was not how I wanted to end my Sunday. I had just saddled Ranger after lunging him, and he started hopping as I asked him to walk off. Somehow, between saddling and mounting, he managed to slice open his foot just above the coronet band, right where the sidebone protrudes. That's the sidebone that was broken last summer and is still healing. Of course, I thought the worst! The vet came right out, cleaned it up, shaved it and realized that it looked a lot worse than it really was. Fortunately, although he sliced the skin and it bled a lot (and HURT), it didn't go into the foot structure. He should make a full recovery in a week. Still, it was a big puddle of blood. You can see two of my footprints to the right of it to get an idea of the size.
I'm trying to remember where this was. Somewhere on the East Coast--somewhere COLD. That's a SNOW PILE behind the BBJ!
This cool virga was on the way to Chicago the other day. Spring thunderstorms aren't far away.Speaking of Chicago, because the turn to the jetway had me turning about 130* blind, I insisted on a wing-walker. This is what I got.Really? You are USING A TRAFFIC CONE??? YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO GET WANDS???

Time to unveil the new house! We're in escrow. Yes, I'll live here--this is the first house I've purchased in which I WANT to live. Every other place has either been so below market value that I couldn't pass it up, or because I needed the tax break. This is the first house I've walked into and said, "I'm home. This is THE place."
I fell in love with it during an estate sale (hence the mess). This photo is from the living room. The next room is the formal dining room, and the room after that (to the left) is the sun room with the blueish arched thing. To the right through the door with walnut trim (not arched) is a glimpse of the breakfast room and just past that, almost invisible from the sunlight, is the kitchen.The kitchen has walnut cabinetry with art deco pulls.This is the fireplace mantle niche. LOVE the art deco Italian roccoco tiles!Speaking of Italian roccoco, in the '30's, wealthy homeowners had fountains inside their homes. This is mine (although I'm certainly NOT wealthy!). I'm hoping that I can get the bubbler going again. It's in the sun room, which is completely tiled with blue, aqua, teal and green tiles. Garish, yes, but totally art deco cool? Absolutely!On closer inspection, I spotted something funny...the center tile is upside down! Those are dolphins with Poseidon's Trident! Speaking of fish, these are at my favourite sushi place. :-) OK, I can't eat them--they have such CUTE smiles!!!Ever wonder what goes on in an airport in the middle of the night?
Absolutely nothing....
There had to be one...why? Do you REALLY think that pajamas are appropriate travel attire?
The Rocky Mountain Horse Expo was last weekend. I attended all 3 days. Karen Scholl was among my favourite clinicians. This horse was running his owner over. In fact, he bolted and knocked her down when she brought him into the arena. Karen worked with him, then taught the owner how to ask for respect. Within an hour, the horse was standing like this--quiet, respectful and a delight to be around.
I went to the Mane Event, which featured horses from around the world. The ever-wonderful Arab-A dressage horse. I think this is a Dutch Warmblood.And a Dragonhorse from Romania...complete with fairy princess. Actually, he's a Percheron. The little blur running around him is an Icelandic pony. Those little things can MOVE!And move and move and move! They have very smooth gaits--you won't spill a beer when you are riding one! Not that you should be drinking beer when riding horses.This is a BLM Mustang that was available for adoption. I couldn't believe it, but he's a blue roan dun. I didn't know that there was such a colour combination. It's incredibly rare.Had to show his face, too. He was a really nicely built gelding with a great personality. Should have adopted him...The Westernaires colour guard.
My crew & I were in Birmingham, so we hopped the trolley to get BBQ and the best banana pudding I've ever had!That's just a little of what I've been up to the past few weeks. Hope you are having as much fun--and a lot less blood!

No comments: