Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1 Month Post-op

It's just about 1 month after my fusion.  Recovery has been going pretty well.  The first two weeks were pretty painful--the back of my neck felt like it had been stretched to China and back--and it had.  They have to hyper-extend it to get the cadaver bone hammered in.

My larynx still hasn't recovered from the intubation, which bruised it.  My voice cracks and is raspy, and I can't hit high notes, which makes "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty!" sound pretty ridiculous.  It's improving, but slowly.

My esophagus is also recovering.  The surgeon has to push your esophagus and trachea aside to reach the spine.  After surgery, there's a little mis-alignment going on, and the knot at the incision site is also pressing against your esophagus.  Therefore you choke a lot.  I liken it to a drain hole in a sink not being aligned perfectly over the pipe--stuff is going to get stuck on the edge.  That's been improving as time goes on, but I had to actually push my esophagus back over whenever I had to swallow food for the first few weeks, and I feel as though I need to give myself the Heimlich maneuver fairly often.

The incision itself doesn't hurt much at all.  Renee did a great job sewing me up.  She used a stitch that will not leave "railroad tracks;" instead it was almost like a thread in a hem--just straight across, woven in & out.  The scar is about 2" long, but straight and thin.  When the swelling goes down you won't be able to see it.

The swelling is about the size of a pecan-a big, hard lump.  I can feel it against the collar, and against my esophagus--it's always pressing right there.  The tissue will break up and subside, but right now it's annoying.

The hardest part is trying to be quiet, relaxed and inactive.  I'm such an active person!  Everyone thinks that sitting on the couch is great--and it is, for a day or two.  After that, there's not enough television, books to read, movies to watch, naps to take...it's really hard to fill up 16+ hours a day.

I've already learned, however, that if I push myself and overdo it I'll pay for a day or two.  I've done that more than once and made myself really sick.  I've figured out that when I feel a little tired, I'm at the threshold of going too far, so I've learned to lay down and nap at that point.

Sleeping is tough.  I like to sleep on my stomach and side.  I can sleep on my side, but not my stomach, since my head, neck and torso should stay aligned.  The collar prevents me from rolling onto my stomach.  Sleep tends to be restless as a result.  I'm also napping so much during the day that sleeping through the night is hard.  It's a tough cycle--nap too much, sleep poorly, nap more the next day.

Asking for help is also hard.  I've been on my own most of my life, and having to ask someone to change the sheets or vacuum or pick something up for me is difficult.  On the flip side, I've found out that people like to help--it makes them feel wanted.  I'm trying to look at it as a gift I can give, instead of feeling as though I'm taking.

About 4 years ago, I had a friend who had a fusion.  I had no idea what she had gone through--I didn't see her for 2 months, and didn't know that she needed help.  I also didn't think to ask.  I feel bad about not being there for her, but then again, she didn't let me know what recovery entailed or that she needed assistance.  If you are wondering what you can do for someone recovering from surgery, let me make a few recommendations--the person recovering might be too proud to ask:

  Help out around the house.  Pick one or two: Vacuum, sweep, dust, take out the garbage, change the sheets and make the bed, wash the clothes & towels, clean the stove & microwave & counters.  Clean the litterbox, wash & refill the pet's bowls, water the plants.  Scrub the shower, sink & toilet.  Wash dishes or take stuff out of the dishwasher and put stuff in.  Offer to drive to the grocery store, bank, doctor's office.  Offer to pick up stuff when you go to the store.  Bring over snacks, drinks, light meals.  Offer to cook & clean up.  Just having one of these things done for me is HUGE!

  Spend time--sitting around is boring!  Watch a movie or TV show, play a game, or just sit & talk. Give them a little backrub or shoulder massage (I guarantee that they hurt, especially if they are sitting around a lot!).  Take the convalescent for a walk if they are able to go--I'm up to 8 blocks, now.  It's great to get out of the house for a little bit.  Call often just to say hi.  Bring a Get Well card.  Loan books and movies and magazines.  Come over with a quick lunch or snack.  You don't have to stay long--in fact, depending on the point of recovery, long visits are really tiring, but a half-hour can make a convalescent's day!

 Don't assume someone else is doing any of this for the convalescent.  They probably need more help than they are asking for or admitting to.  Fewer friends are coming over or calling or helping than you think--everyone is busy, and there are more good intentions than follow-throughs out there.

Well, that's it for now.  Back to the couch!





No comments: