Sunday, February 22, 2009

2009 Northwest Flower & Garden show, and A Big Step

It's that time of year--time for the Northwest Flower and Garden show! I flew out on Wednesday to join Baze, Kim, Lori and Jayme for the gala. This year Baze and Kim hosted me at their new home, which is lovely. Did I get photos of it? No--I was a dork...but I had a great time!

We started the day at Joe Lamp'l's seminar. He reviewed the best gardening tools of 2008. He had the BEST facial expressions! Playing with sharp tools might do that...especially if they slip...check out the wicked shovel!
The gardens were amazing, as usual. It's like being a hungry kid in a candy store--I want one of everything! This arbor is just about what I want in my new back yard.My friend Erick would LOVE this sculpture. He's an amazing jazz musician. Again, you can visit his website at http://www.hotbebop.com/
Baze and Kim found a new friend!This was one of the more relaxing exhibits. You could get a foot rub while being fanned. Mmmm.....The quilting society always displays some wonderful quilts. I've never quilted--look at that talent! I can barely sew a button on; I can't imagine the skill it takes to put scraps together into a work of art. More skill--these are stone masons. They are listening to the stone, trying to hear what it wants to be. We thought it wanted to be a falcon.And even more amazing talent--the Borneo mask-carvers were back! Here are two of their new masks. If you jump back to the 2008 NWF&G blog post, you can see last years' masks.This peaceful path is made of crushed quartz. Wouldn't that be nice in your back yard?This is a unique table, isn't it? The seats are on wire containers, filled with firewood, as is the table base. What a great, multi-functional piece of furniture.This year, there were little stuffed garden critters hidden amongst the gardens. You could bid on your favourite critter. The proceeds went to Make-a-Wish. Do you need a carrot? It's an unusual variety--a Climbing Tree Carrot!I'm not sure if you can read the sign...these are Kinky Shoes! Each one is welded, created from all sorts of salvaged items. Pretty cool, huh? Watch out, Manolo Blahnik!More foxy garden art!Everyone loves a wind chime--and you can make one yourself, using utensils stolen from restaurants! Want to go out to eat?This beautiful piece of driftwood was stained and posed as a piece of art, above and beyond the casually tossed piece in the yard. Look at how it echos the bonzai behind it!Oh, yes, there were orchids. I almost forgot to mention them. Lots of orchids. Lots of beautiful, tempting orchids. Lots of beautiful, tempting, homeless orchids, looking at me with their big sad orchid eyes....So, I adopted two. The above is an unnamed scented orchid, and below is "White Knight," a new scented species that is being patented. Kim & Baze, hanging with the Hick Chicks (me & Jayme)! Yeehaw! Regretfully, I didn't get a photo of Lori, but she was there....really, she was!!!!We enjoyed the Dale Chihuly exhibit on the way out. I worked for Dale about 15 years ago, doing a temp job. He's an amazing glass artist, isn't he? One of my fantasies includes going to an estate sale and finding a Chihuly for a dollar...keep dreamin', kiddo...I got back to Denver on Saturday and found a foreclosed duplex that had just been listed. My Realtor and I looked at it this morning. I made an offer on it an hour later. It's pretty cute--both units are 2 bedrooms/1 bath. They have kitchens with a little dining nook, and a decent sized living room. Each unit has its own yard. They have hardwood floors, washer/dryer hookups, and decent storage inside.The best part is that, if I get the building, the rent of one unit will pay the entire mortgage! If both are rented, I'll be living free and still have positive cash flow. I LOVE this economy! I'll get more photos if we go under contract. This place needs less work than the half-duplex that I bought--we close on that on Friday, and I'll be moving in April. We're hoping to close on this duplex in late March/early April, and I should have it painted and cleaned up within a week or two so that I can get it rented immediately.I hope that your day is filled with dreams, fantasies and flowers--get out and make something good happen, OK?

No comments: