Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Granite!!!

Despite the economy, we are still taking delivery of new airplanes. This is our newest one, with only 50 hours on it! It even has that "new airplane" scent! Look how spiffy and clean it is! Doesn't First Class look comfy? More leg-room and roomier overhead bins!Space age lighting, too! WOW!I was at a junk store the other day and spotted this lovely chandelier. I wish you could see how sparkly the crystals are. It's from the 40's, which is when the house was built. It's a heavy metal--possibly pewter or brass? It's definitely not the cheap stuff you find at the big-box stores these days.

Although I like the chrome and milk-glass track light that I installed in the dining room, it just doesn't quite fit. So, it's going into the laundry room (to replace the incandescent light), and this will go into the dining room. I wasn't sure that I liked the pointy spikes, until I realized that the curve matches the coved ceilings. The colour matches Grandpa's lamp, and goes with all of my furnishings. I'll post pics after I install it; I'm waiting for a ceiling cover to be delivered.Speaking of deliveries, guess what came yesterday? THE GRANITE COUNTERTOPS! Finally! It only took 3 months and 5 missed appointments (not by me...no surprise there).
(Yes, the ugly green shutters and trim will go away next year, probably replaced by black shutters and deep pomegranate trim, with a Grey Poupon colour over the brick. One of the neighboring houses has that paint scheme, and it's spectacular.)
Anyway, here's part of the counter!
The seam is in the middle of the cabinet. You can't even see it! They cut the sink after installing the granite and sealing the seam.
The colour has mix of garnet, mica, quartz (all of which are very sparkly and glowing), with blacks, tans, golds, coppers and even some green tones. It's absolutely beautiful!
Can you see the seam? I'll bet not!So, I finally have granite! This is the first time I haven't had to settle for low-bid builder formica, and low-bid builder fixtures. Even though this unit will become a rental in a year or two, I decided that it's worth it to have what I want. Life is too short to settle, isn't it?

Next kitchen project is choosing the backsplash--either a tan, tumbled stone tile which might be hard given the disasterous shape of the walls, or bead-board, painted high-gloss white, with matching crown molding. The walls will be painted one of the golds in the granite, probably close to a mustard colour, which is also in the cabinet finish. What do you think? Any other ideas?

No comments: