Thursday, October 1, 2009

Happy AnniverRangery

Eight years ago today (October 1st), at about this time of night, Kay, Chuck and I delivered my first horse to his first home with a human after spending over 9 hours at the Burns, OR BLM corrals choosing him. It was the beginning of the best thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life.

Happy Anniversary, Ranger!

Here are some of the highlights; Ranger in the BLM corrals.The first look Ranger and I shared. This was it...this was the magic moment when I knew that he was mine and I was his. First horse, first human...it was meant to be.Ranger's first day home with me! He was only four months old.

Here's our first Christmas! And his first birthday....And his first saddling!These eight years have been nothing but amazing and wonderful....a complete and total gift. No matter what happens with Ranger's leg, I wouldn't change a thing, because that would change my life with my little horse.

Here are some photos from today at the clinic, where we started shock wave therapy in an effort to restore him to soundness. Ranger's just had sedative, and is receiving the first of several injections in his fetlock and pastern joint.
More shots. This is to completely numb his foot.One sleepy horse...Ranger's fetlock and pastern area were shaved so that the sound waves had the best chance of reaching their target. Gel is applied to enhance the waves. The probe makes a rapid clicking sound as it fires each sound wave into his leg.We also did his hocks, since he was showing some arthritic changes--albeit minor, but changes nonetheless. Shock wave can't hurt and arthritis can, so we figured we might as well give it a try.Ranger will go back for a second round in 2 1/2 weeks or so. In the meantime, keep sending good thoughts that this will decrease the sidebone ossification, and reduce the impingement on his joints. If we can get that result, his injury will be manageable. We'll know in a few months.

No comments: