Saturday, March 21, 2009

More surprises...

I am not a "Uniform Nazi," but I do think that pilots should look professional. We were parked next to Lynx, which does contract flying for Frontier, and spotted this Captain. Look closely--he's wearing a baseball cap. And he wore his baseball cap when he did the walk-around prior to flight, where any passenger looking out the window could see him. He wore the baseball cap to greet the passengers when they boarded. He was wearing the baseball cap when they taxied out...I think he just wanted to look cool for his FO, but still, a baseball cap has no place in a professional pilot's work wardrobe.I like to start my day with a nutritious breakfast. Below is the Breakfast of Champions--Starbuck's Oatmeal with nuts (almonds, pecans & walnuts), dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, and golden raisins), and brown sugar, followed by a non-fat latte. It's hard to eat well on the road, but as you can tell, I manage! The thing in the middle is the tiller in my airplane--that's how we drive it on the ground. We also have a nice, deeply recessed cup holder because liquids and electronics in an airplane don't mix.My pilot friends will get a kick out of this! For the rest of you, that is airport weather with a small faux paus.Today's terrific surprise came when I took out the tile floor in the bathroom. The toilet couldn't be set unless the tile around it was removed, so that was today's project. Of course, the former owner set the tile in such a way that I couldn't just take it out around the toilet--nope, the entire floor had to come out. And of course, they set the tub on top of the tile, too, just to make it a little more exciting. So, guess what's under the tile?That's right--MOLD! Yippeee... Off to Home Depot to buy a respirator. I'm pretty sure that I got mold spores up my nose, though. I hope they aren't fatal. I'm already sneezing. What are the signs of mold poisoning? So, tomorrow's project is to meet Jose, the plumber, at 8a. He came over tonight for the estimate, and checked out the mold. Being a plumber, he's seen a lot of it. He said that it's not active, since there's no moisture, but it will have to be cleaned up. I'm going to take out the last of the tile, spray the entire area with bleach, let it dry, then scour out the mold. He's going to redo the pipe so that a flange can be set and the toilet can be secured. Guess we're going to have a busy day! Would you like to join me for the burning of the moldy clothing?

Oh, and did I mention that I have lead pipes? Just for the waste system, I think. Still...

I got to spend most of the afternoon with Sue yesterday, riding her "new" horse Diore. She's had Diore almost two years, but I hadn't met him yet. What a NICE horse! He's got some good, solid dressage training and was delightful to ride. He & Ranger would make a hilarious pair--Diore is gray, but the almost-white kind of gray. He's HUGE--at least 16.3HH. I'd love to see them paired up, because Ranger is little and black.

Sue & I caught up and had a terrific time, despite our headaches. I wish we lived closer so that we could have more horse-time and friends-time.

No comments: