Friday, March 27, 2009

Upswing, downswing, vicodenswing...and a birthday!

We went out to the Kona Grill a few weeks ago for Matt Ashburn's 30th birthday. Matt & I worked at Regal, but not at the same time, then both ended up at SkyWest. We've known about each other through mutual friends, emails and newsletters, but had never met. We finally met several months ago through Jenny, because Matt and her boyfriend James are roommates--what a SMALL WORLD!

I chose the cake, which I felt boasted appropriate subject matter for a 30-year-old.We GORGED on sushi! And beer!Matt, me and Jenny...Matt's harem...Happy Birthday!Bill helped me with the house on Tuesday, and after we finished a couple of major projects, I scooted over to Odette's to hang out and help with the kids during a showing (They are selling their house, abandoning me, and moving back to Seattle. I'm helpfully telling prospective buyers about the Ebola virus present in their carpet...)

Sara is learning how to drink from a water bottle. Notice the raincoat...it was definitely necessary! Who knew it took so much talent and coordination to drink from a water bottle--which means that I must be talented and coordinated, since I don't usually drench myself while drinking! :-)Sara makes the best FISHY faces!After we dried her off, she decided to don Odie's shoes and walk around.Here are some of the improvements at the house--Bill finished off the limbs that I couldn't reach. The juniper is now FREE--nothing is touching it! Or the sidewalk, or the roof, or the people walking up the sidewalk! Check out how big the pile of branches is NOW (the pile I cut is in the blog before this one)! If the City asks...YES, we hired an arborist! :-)I hacked down the clematis, which was growing up the back wall, gouging the brick, invading the electrical box, winding behind the gutters and twisting into the attic. I'll dig it up later and move it to the fence, where it can't damage the structure. Check out that pile of old clematis!We got the subfloor installed! Doesn't it look great? No more mold! Jose will set the flange tomorrow, and I'll tile at some point in the near future, although those plans might be a little awry...I also ordered the kitchen cabinets today. Things are looking up at the house!Do you see anything odd in this photo? Compare the second gauges. Each "stack" represents an engine--the left stack is the left engine, and the right stack is the right engine. The right engine shows 496*C ITT, which is normal engine temperature in flight. The left engine shows 270*C, which is abnormal in flight. "Abnormal in flight" is not a good phrase, especially when you are actually flying, which we were.This is something you DON'T want to see. Unfortunately, we saw it. Anytime anything turns RED in the airplane, you are having a BAD DAY! This was a bad day. Don't even ask about the rest of the day, because it was worse. Yes, sadly, this was the best part of the BAD DAY.Below is the result of the BAD DAY. That is generic Vicoden. I ended the BAD DAY by slipping on ice on the jet-bridge adapter while carrying my heavy flight bag last night, and really screwing up my back. Today, I spent the afternoon at the doctor. He says the worst is yet to come, because it takes about 72 hours for everything to settle down enough so that he can assess the damage to my back. I'm grounded with an OJI for at least a week.So, off to Target to get my Rx, and a big copper piggy bank, and some ice cream. Ben & Jerry's Imagine Whirled Peace, to be precise. So, this little piggy is assigned to the couch for the next two or three days, eating ice cream and Vicoden. Want to join me? I have all of the Harry Potter movies lined up, ready to go!
Stay off of ice, thick or thin, and have a GOOD DAY, OK?

No comments: