Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another good week, complete with VACATION!

My friend Margaret was assigned to some training classes in Denver last week, and we got to catch up with each other at Panera Bread. When we walked in, a couple of women were having some sort of problem with their order, so the manager stepped in and gave them free sandwiches. Margaret and I then ordered and figured out pretty quickly that the young lady taking our orders wasn't the brightest star in the sky. I wonder if she costs Panera as much as they pay her? or more? Anyway, the manager had to make another raspberry mango smoothie for me, after the other women grabbed it and ran. Getting this smoothie was a LOT of trouble! Here's Margaret presenting it with her best Vanna imitation!I headed out to California on Thursday for vacation. Diann planned a summer solstice "Girls Only" weekend at Pine Mountain Lake near Yosemite. Her sister Melody and friend Kami flew in from Phoenix. Diann and a couple of other women came from Merced.

I flew into Burbank and spent the night with Melissa and Dean, then Melissa and I drove up the next day, picking up Tammie in Visalia. The plan was to meet at the Iron Horse Bar in Groveland, so we arrived and ordered a refreshing beverage.We waited for over an hour, and Melissa saw Diann drive by...not stopping...so we ordered another refreshing beverage. Then another.By the time Diann arrived, we were pretty refreshed! That's Tammie, Diann, Melissa and me.The Iron Horse is the oldest continuously operating bar in the state of California. We also had the oldest continuously serving bartender serving us--boy, was she grouchy! Good thing we were all in a good mood!One of the cool things people do in small town bars is throw money around. Look at the ceiling--those are ALL dollar bills, wrapped in a tack and shot up into the ceiling using a quarter. We guessed that there must be well over a thousand dollars in the ceiling!We finally made it to the cabin. WOW--what a great place! Yes, it's on the lake. The bedroom I stayed in is visible to the right--you can see the shades partially pulled down. The place had 5 bedrooms, a great room, big kitchen, amazing master bath, wet bar and pool table downstairs, and wonderful covered decks!

We had a wonderful time--good food, lots to drink, lots of wildlife (both critters and people!), beautiful views and terrific company. I'll get more photos up soon, but I can't find the charger for my camera, so I'm SOL right now.

No comments: